Scottish Parliament Petition
ForcesWatch and Quakers in Scotland submitted a petition to the Scottish Parliament to:
- scrutinise armed forces visits to schools in Scotland
- provide guidance on how such visits should be conducted
- ensure that parents are always consulted.
The petition is now being heard by the Scottish Parliament. See more info.
Ask your MP to support raising the age of recruitment
- Contact information for your MP
- Ask your MP to support the campaign to raise the age of recruitment
- Ask your MP to read the Medact report
- Send this parliamentary briefing to your MP
- Watch 'Soldiers at 16: the other side of the story'
- Ask your MP to sign the Early Day Motion calling on the Government to review the recruitment age
- Sample text for contacting your MP
Challenging the military in schools
ForcesWatch are challenging the military's involvement in UK schools and colleges and the promotion of 'military ethos' within national education policy by the Department for Education. Please help us by:
- distributing our resources and information, including our film on the military and young people
- raising the issue with your school or college if you have reason to be concerned - see here for some advice on this
- get in touch with your experience - it is very helpful to hear about which is happening on the ground
- contact your MP with your concerns about the military's involvement in education. Use this website to find the email and postal address for your MP or email them directly here.
How to approach your school with your concerns
This ForcesWatch briefing is for parents, students and teachers concerned with military activities in their school. It looks at:
- how and why the armed forces engage with schools and colleges
- perspecitves on armed forces activities in schools and colleges
- things to think about before raising concerns with the school
- points and questions to raise with the school
- alternatives to military-led activities
- sources of more information
Share your news
Let us know of any activities you are working on or in your area about military activity in schools or challenging militarism. We can help spread the word.
Book: confronting a culture of militarism
At a comfortable distance from warfare, our culture easily passes over its horrific reality in favour of an appealing, even romantic, spectacle of war. Yet, over the last decade, most Britons have opposed Western military ventures abroad. This book takes a fresh look at a culture of militarism in Britain, public resistance to it, and the government's prodigious efforts to regain control of the story we tell ourselves about war. See details & buy book
Watch our film on the miltary and young people
Why does the military have a 'youth engagement' policy and why is the government promoting 'military ethos' within education? What is the impact of military activities taking place in schools? This short film explores these questions and gives teenagers the opportunity to voice their reaction to the military’s interest in their lives.
Donate £36 or more
for a FREE COPY of our
book 'Spectacle, Reality,
a culture of militarism'
ForcesWatch relies on grants and donations to continue its work. A monthly donation of just a few pounds will help provide much needed funding for our activities. To donate make on online payment or send us a cheque. .
Stay in touch
Keep informed of our work through Facebook, Twitter or RSS. You can also sign up to our email lists. See more here